Healthy eating is so important for children. At Sandburg Middle School, we work hard to ensure students receive a healthy breakfast and lunch each day to support their developing brains and bodies. Research shows that children who eat regular, nutritious meals are more likely to attend school and be engaged in learning.
Sandburg Middle School has the opportunity to participate in a program called EVERY MEAL. This program offers non-perishable foods to students for over the weekend. We want each student at SMS to have the opportunity to opt-in to bring home food on Fridays.
We are excited to partner with Every Meal to offer a free weekend food program to all our students. A special thanks to Every Meal to help make this opportunity possible.
Every Meal is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to fight child hunger through community and school partnerships. They strive to make a difference in children’s lives by focusing on food gaps like weekends, school breaks, and summer when they can’t receive food in school.
- Free for all families
- No qualifications required for enrollment
- Students enrolled in the program will receive a 4-5 pound bag of nutritious, nonperishable food each week
- Every Meal does not collect information from families; privacy is protected
- Families may enroll in the program anytime throughout the school year
- Students will have 5 options to choose from.
- Blue - Tailored for East African dietary preferences
- Green - Offers a wide variety of food items (see attachment)
- Orange - Tailored for Latinx dietary preferences
- Purple - Tailored for Southeast Asian dietary preferences
- Yellow - Contains all ready to eat items, which require little to no preparation
Students can also change their preferences through the form.
Students can opt-in without parent approval.
Please complete the enrollment form by Tuesday, December 7, 2021.
John Groenke, Principal
Sandburg Middle School Every Meal Coordinators